Whole Wheat Tortillas

These are the easiest tortillas I have ever made. Lately I have been making them several times a week. The recipe is from http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/. Lindsay has a wealth of information on healthy eating. She recommends soaking your grains first. I would usually do it if I could remember ahead of time. I am going to post the recipe without the soaking step, but if you are interested in how and why to soak grains head on over to Passionate Homemaking.

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil (I use olive or coconut)

1.) Combine dry ingredients. Add the water and oil.
2.) Mix well and then knead until the dough is workable, but not too stiff. You may need to add a little more flour.
3.) Let stand for 10 minutes.
4.) Divide into 8 balls and let stand another 10 minutes.
5.) Roll out on a floured surface. The thinner the better. (Lindsay recommends thicker. I guess you will have to do what works for you.)
6.) Heat a skillet to medium high heat and toast each side of the tortillas. About 20-30 seconds per side. Keep tortillas warm under a towel while cooking the rest. Once they cool down they can get a little stiff.

For great pictures of how these are made visit Lindsays site at http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/
NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments: