Chicken Broth

Chicken Broth (Alton Brown) Pictures, Images and Photos
I always try to use as much of the chicken as I can when I am cooking so that I do not waste anything. I also do not want to spend any more on groceries then absolutely necessary. Lately I have been making my own chicken broth when I cook a whole chicken. I usually freeze it for later use.
One of the reasons I make my own broth is so that I don't have to buy chemical laden broth from the store. Organic broth is usually more then I am willing to pay and coupons are scarce for this item.

The second reason I make my broth is the nutrient content is so much better then that of store bought or chicken bouillon. The nutrients for a good broth is found in the bone. You need to make sure to break the bones to help the nutrients get into the broth. If you would like more information on why I chose to cook this way for health reasons I would recommend the books The Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions. Both are excellent sources of whole food education.

Chicken Broth is so easy to make. All I do is put a whole chicken in a crock pot and cover with filtered water. You can chose to add celery, carrots, salt, and pepper for flavor. You could be creative and add any number of spices to change the flavor.
After 8 hours of cooking on low you have very tender chicken to add to one meal and several quarts of broth. All for the price of a whole chicken.

NewerStories OlderStories Home

5 comments:

Jane said...

I do this too, only I boil mine on the stove in a large pot. I have a chicken in the freezer that I need to do this to. I need to stock up on my stock (lol) for Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I roast my chicken and we have it for a meal. I then take all the bones and scraps and throw them in a pot of water and boil the stuffing out of it. It makes a fantasic broth and so flavorful because of the spices that I used for flavoring.

Linda said...

I've always made the broth after cooking and removing the meat from the chicken. The problem is that sometimes I'm so sick of that bird after I'm done picking it clean, that I don't want to mess with it anymore. This way I wouldn't have that problem. Thanks for the tip.

Momzoo said...

I really need to do this, I have been meaning to but I am too lazy!

Anonymous said...

I usually save my broth from soup. I have a pasta pot so I put it through that.