Mommy "Pink" Fish Sticks!

I rarely buy my family prepackaged, frozen fish sticks. I will admit that occasionally I do when there is a great sale and I need something for those days when I do not have time to cook, but I try to avoid them.
When I plan ahead I try to always have some sort of fish in the freezer so that I can make some homemade fish sticks instead. They are so much healthier and not that much more expensive to make. You can also sneek a veggie into them. The way I do that is to either mix a pureed one into the fish cake or roll it in a pureed veggie and milk bath before coating in bread crumbs.
I made these the other day and my daughter could not believe that I made "pink" fish sticks, her favorite color.

Salmon Fish Sticks
2-3 salmon fillets cooked (You can use any kind of white fish as well)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
Garlic salt and pepper to taste

Coating:
1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup pureed veggie (I often use zucchini, cauliflower, or sweet potato)

Breading:
2 cups bread crumbs (Preferably homemade)
Salt and Pepper
Any other spices your family likes

1.)Take the cooked fish and coursly chop it in a bowl. Add the egg, bread crumbs and salt and pepper. Mix well.
2.)Form the mixture into fish stick shapes and set aside. If you are having trouble getting the sticks to stay together try adding more bread crumbs or milk depending on if they are to dry or to wet.
3.)You will need 3 plates. Fill one with flour, one with breading mixture, and one with the coating mixture of pureed veggies and milk.
4.)Take each fish stick and roll it first in flour, then in the veggie puree, and next into the bread crumbs and place on a cookie sheet.
5.) Cook at 350 for 20 minutes or until cooked through.

This is a recipe I made up as I was going along the other day. You may have to tweak it some depending on your taste and how big your fish fillets are.


NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 comments: