Green Smoothies

 

I thought that for St Patrick's Day I would share my take on green smoothies. I got the idea from two of my favorite healthy blogs Passionate Homemaking and Heavenly Homemakers. They both have great recipes for green smoothies/slushies. I took both recipes and kind of made up my own yummy green smoothie. They are so good for you and even my 1 year old will drink them. Unfortunately my 3 year old will not, but she does not care for smoothies of any sort. Weird I know. Oh well. 

Green Smoothies (I tend to eyeball amounts)

Frozen strawberries
Frozen or fresh banana
A couple hand fulls FRESH spinach (Frozen tastes terrible)
A little juice (or water)
Yogurt or kefir (I use homemade for extra nutrition)
Honey if you like (I leave this out)
     
Put everything in the blender and blend very well. All of the spinach should completely blend away and leave you with a nice green colored drink. You can hardly taste the spinach. The fruit does a nice job of masking it.

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can add any fruit you like as well as change out the greens. Experiment with what you like to eat. Start out with only a little spinach and eventually you can add more as you become accustomed to the taste. This is a great way to get some nutrition down picky eaters.

One thing I discovered is that you do NOT want to use frozen spinach. It does not blend well and will leave chunks in your smoothie. YUCK! It also leaved behind a strong spinach flavor.

Head on over to Tammy's Recipes for more of today's kitchen tips. 

NewerStories OlderStories Home

1 comments:

jac. said...

I just recently started making green smoothies. I have kale from my garden last year and have been successful with it in smoothies. Great way to get extra greens and veggies!

Maybe for your three year old turn it into a Popsicle. I got great Popsicle molds at target and Family dollar last year for a dollar.