HELP! Reader input needed

I have a problem that I am hoping someone reading this may have an answer to. We put in new tile floor a couple of months ago and my husband insisted that the WHITE grout looked the best. I was afraid that it would be horrible to keep clean, but he said that it would be sealed and should not be a problem.

Well it is about 6 months later and my white grout is now dirt colored. I can not seem to scrub it clean. The dirt is ground in. I hate to use bleach due to the smell, but I am out of ideas.

Does anyone have some good advice? I am tired of my floor always looking filthy even after I just mopped it.
NewerStories OlderStories Home

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey Lorrie,
I had the same problem. It turned out that my grout was never sealed. My husband and I recently found a product that painted or stained the grout white and now we have to seal it. I am at work right now, but when I get home I will get the name of the product. It was from Lowe's or Home Depot.

LizzyLanguage said...

Mr. Clean's magic eraser gets everything out! I promise it will work. By the way, if you haven't joined Psst...! You have to! Check out my blog for more details.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I work at a tile store and always steer everyone away from white or light grout...Because, even when sealed it still gets dirt on the surface.

But, you can paint it (grout paint) and then it doesn't need to be sealed because the paint already has a sealer.

We also have a really good cleaner that I will give you the name of if you would like. You can email me, via the link on my page.

I don't want to give the name of the product here or my email addy for obvious reasons :)

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

If you decide to change your grout, know that it's a messy job but one you can do yourself. Check out This Old House's website for step-by-step directions. They have great resources and usually include pictures and/or video. It's a job that will keep you on your knees for an extended period of time... I finished my first tile job about 2 weeks before my oldest child was born. I probably wouldn't do that again. If you are healthy and not 9 months pregnant, don't hesitate to take on this job.

Anonymous said...

Hydrogen peroxide kills mold/mildew if that is your problem. I'd recommend that you clean it with the magic eraser and then reseal it.

Unknown said...

We recently dyed our grout with a grout paint and it looks fabulous!!! I was so ready to rip out the tile and put in linoleum because I hated that our floor never looked clean, but the dyeing worked! It didn't take long at all and was really pretty easy.